Times shown are April-September (Summer).
Winter times vary to this.
Normal Opening Times: Monday - Saturday, 9.00 - 17.00 | Sunday, 9.30 - 16.30
Who we are
We are Scotland’s award-winning national tourism organisation. As a publicly-funded body (an NDPB, or ‘non-departmental government body’) we are accountable to the Minister for Enterprise, Energy and Tourism.
Why we’re here - the facts
Our main aim to contribute significantly to the advancement of Scottish tourism by giving it a real presence in the global marketplace and benefiting the whole of Scotland. A strong and vibrant tourism sector is crucial for a successful economy.
Currently tourism contributes £11.6 billion to the Scottish economy each year (direct and indirect impact), as well as supporting over 180,000 jobs. In Shetland these figures are approximately £16.5 million & 1200 jobs. As well as being a major employer in Scotland, the sector underpins the success of others such as transport, retail, farming, food and drink and construction.*
* Deloitte study, 2013
Where we are
Our local activities are organised around six regions and three island areas. In Shetland we have the Visitor Information Centres in Market Cross, Lerwick, & at Sumburgh Airport, plus the VisitScotland office above Market Cross.
What we do
Our purpose is to grow and develop the sustainable economic benefit of tourism to Scotland's economy.
This purpose is supported by five Corporate Objectives, which are closely linked:
1. Marketing: We will market Scotland and its outstanding assets to visitors from all parts of the world. This including the promotion of Scotland to people living in Scotland - encouraging them to visit different parts of the country
2. Information provision: We will provide information and inspiration to visitors both locally and globally via their preferred choice of medium (online, print, face-to-face)
3. Quality and sustainability: we will provide support and advice to businesses, with the goal of improving the quality and sustainability of the tourism sector in Scotland. We will provide assurance to visitors through our quality schemes.
4. Working in partnership: We will listen to and work with the industry, partners and stakeholders to shape our offering and support.
5. Events: We will maximise the benefits from the 'Winning Years' and their legacy. We will implement the national events strategy, and sustain, develop and promote Scotland's international profile as one of the world's foremost events destinations.
Sectors: Leisure & Entertainment, Property & Accommodation
Product categories: Arts, Music & Hobbies, Entertainment, Clothing, Gifts & Party Supplies, Bags, Shoes & Clothing Accessories, Jewellery & Watches, Food, Home, Office Supplies, Toys & Games, Event Tickets, Books, Candles, Candles, Oils & Room Fragrance, Ladies Clothes, Men's Clothes, Socks, Children's Bags, Hair Accessories, Handbags, Hats, Gloves, Scarves, Purses, Wallets, Charms & Other Jewellery, Rings, Earrings, Necklaces & Bracelets, Shetland Designer Jewellery, Sweets, Decorative Homeware, Prints & Wall Art, Stationery, Crafting & Creative Play, Educational Toys, Puzzles & Jigsaws, Tourist info