Jack Rae trained as a jeweller in Edinburgh and moved to the island of Foula in Shetland in 1945. He later moved to Weisdale on the Shetland mainland and started making Jewellery under the name of Shetland Silvercraft in 1953. After his son, Ken Rae, joined the business he bought over what was then “The Gift Shop” and started trading under the name of J G Rae Ltd in 1965.
Ken Rae managed the business for more than 20 years, and had a break of about 8 years before returning in 2000. He now mainly looks after the manufacturing division – renamed Shetland Jewellery.
Sectors: Crafts, Gifts, Music & Antiques, Clothing, Footwear & Accessories